Social distancing advice for the workplace: How to comply in 10 steps
As talks turn towards how some businesses might go back to the workplace and adapt to the new ‘normal’, it’s important to know how to comply with government advice and to keep your staff and customers safe.
Although the government recommends that employees should continue to work from home if they can, for those who can’t or who are preparing to take steps to get their businesses back to the workplace, we’ve outlined 10 key pieces of government advice to follow.
- Staff are to maintain a distance of 2 meters (3 steps) between themselves and customers at all times. Provide clear signage to help direct staff, especially in areas that tend to be busier such as toilets, entrances and communal areas.
- Regularly wash hands with soap and water for 20 seconds, especially after sneezing or coughing. Prompt staff to do the same with clear communication.
- Provide additional pop-up handwashing facilities, if possible.
- Split staff into teams to work in alternating shifts to reduce interaction and the number of people on-site. Keep these teams as small as possible.
- Frequently clean and disinfect objects and surfaces, particularly at the end and beginning of shifts.
- For customer-facing businesses, regulate the number of customers within the premises by using clear signage and direction.
- Use digital and remote transfers of material where possible such as contactless payment and emails.
- Use signage to direct movement into lanes, if feasible, while maintaining a two-metre distance.
- Advise those with any symptoms to avoid entering the premises.
- If feasible, place plexiglass barriers at points of regular interaction.
How can we help?
We offer a large range of social distancing solutions that can be customised to help you communicate these regulations to your staff and customers. These include floor graphics, window graphics, banners, posters and barriers. Please contact us for an instant quote or to discuss how we could help support your business’ safe return to the workplace.